Health & Safety
Mordant and Kit Materials Safety Precautions
- We supply food grade ferrous sulfate but it can be harmful in powdered form to young children and pets. It is advised that you follow these safety precautions.
- Please keep the iron powder package tightly closed and store away from children and pets. Do not allow children to use iron powder unsupervised.
- If ingested, seek immediate medical attention.
- Measure iron in a well-ventilated area wearing a mask and with gloves.
- Avoid breathing the steam coming from a hot iron mordant bath and mordant in a well-ventilated area.
- Protein fibers (wool, silk, alpaca) can feel rough after an iron mordant. Use the least amount of iron possible and lowest temperatures to avoid harshness. Approx 1 - 2% the WOF.
- Cotton, linen and hemp can take higher percentages and higher temperatures. Approx 10 - 20 % for darker hues.
- Thoroughly wash all your iron utensils and pots to avoid staining with residual iron, use non - reactive pots ( plastic or stainless steel ) and it is recommended you make these your iron pots.
- Iron dye baths used for color shifting may be reused several times.
- Dispose of iron bath or iron solution down the drain in municipal areas or in a septic system, or over gravel. Do not dispose in waterways, lakes or streams.